With good planning and preparation, your honeymoon can be the trip you’ve always dreamed of! To help you pack and make sure you’ve brought everything you need, we’ve created the ultimate honeymoon packing list. Use our list as a springboard and personalize it as needed.
The Paper Essentials
By “paper essentials” we mean personal documentation as well as currency. Whether you’re traveling internationally or within your own country, you will need the right forms of I.D. and other documents to get you to your destination and back home.
You will also need the right forms of money to pay for fun experiences and purchases. Find out beforehand what the preferred, ideal currency is where you’re going. Do they accept major credit cards? Do you need to get traveler’s checks?
These are the paper essentials to include and check off on your honeymoon packing list:
- Driver’s license or personal I.D. card: If you’re not leaving your country, this form of I.D. is typically enough.
- COVID-19 immunization card: Some states and countries require proof that you’ve received your COVID vaccines. Even in the locations that don’t require proof, you may run into individual businesses or entertainment venues that require proof.
- Passports & visas: You and your partner will need your passports if you’re leaving the country. Make sure they’re up to date. Find out which visas, if any, are required where you’re going.
- Other proof of immunization: Depending on where you’re traveling to, you may need additional vaccinations or medications, such as against malaria or hepatitis A.
- Booking confirmations: Even if you have all your info on a smart phone, have paper backups of your travel itinerary and confirmations in case there’s a lack of reliable cell service where you’re going.
- Forms of money: Find out beforehand if your destination accepts your debit or credit cards. In addition to bringing credit cards, bring cash or other currency as well. If you’re traveling abroad, you may want to bring traveler’s checks, cash, and local currency that you exchange before leaving for your trip.
- Other important papers & documents: These include health insurance docs, luggage tags, travel insurance info, copies of passports and I.D.’s (in case they get lost), your emergency contacts, and copies of any prescriptions you’re taking.
Contact your credit card companies and banks before you depart for your honeymoon. Letting credit card companies know where you’re traveling and what dates you’ll be away will keep your card from being declined for unusual activity when you try to use it.
Now that we’ve covered the documentation and currency essentials, let’s go over some other honeymoon packing list must-haves.
- Sunglasses: Eye protection is essential as you sightsee and take in all the wonders as a couple.
- Sunscreen: Even if it’s cloudy outside, you can get sunburned. Be sure to bring (and apply) enough sunscreen.
- Chapstick or lip balm: Your lips will thank you for remembering to bring lip protection.
- Medications: Bring your prescription medications along with copies of your pharmacy’s prescriptions for these meds, in case you need to show officials that you need these doctor-approved drugs.
- Electrical converters/adaptors: Find out if you need special converters for your electronics, including phones, laptops, cameras, and electric shavers.
- Inhalers: If either of you has asthma or other conditions that require inhalers, remember to bring them, plus extras.
Clothes & Accessories
You don’t want to bring your whole closet with you, but you’ll want to pack for the climate (including if it rains) and for special moments (from romantic dinners to fun at the beach). Here are honeymoon packing list clothing and accessory items to consider:
- Bathing suits & beachwear, including for your resort pool
- Semi-formal wear for elegant restaurants or upscale venues
- Comfy, sexy sleepwear & lingerie
- Socks, underwear, bras
- Casual daywear, including shorts, tops, and layers in case it gets chilly
- Rain jacket
- Winter gear if you’re going somewhere cold
- Light jacket & sweatshirt or sweater for chilly days, cool nights, or places with generous air conditioning
- Sturdy walking shoes, plus an extra pair of shoes
- Flip-flops or sandals, particularly for warmer climates or the beach
- Belts, hats, scarves, purses, wallets, hip packs, tote bags, compact backpacks, or other accessories you may need
- Jewelry, but leave treasures at home (you don’t want to lose them)
Not every personal item on this honeymoon packing list will be relevant to you; go through our list and make a note of which items you need to bring with you.
- Pain relief medicine
- Over the counter medicines
- Natural supplements (make sure they’re not banned where you’re going)
- Antacids or similar products for upset stomach relief
- Hand sanitizer
- Small first-aid kit & bandages
- Motion sickness medication, particularly if you’ll be on a boat or bus
- Bug spray
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, & dental floss
- Shampoos & conditioners
- Soaps & bodywashes
- Razors & shaving cream
- Deodorants & antiperspirants
- Combs, brushes, hair clips/ties, & hair styling products
- Feminine hygiene products
- Birth control supplies
- Makeup remover
- Glasses & contacts, including extras, cases, & lens solutions
- Eye drops
- Anti-itch cream
- Cough drops
- Nail file
Remember to check and adhere to TSA protocols when you’re packing personal items in your carry-on luggage. There are restrictions regarding what you can bring and how many ounces of each product you’re allowed to carry on to the plane. When possible, bring smaller, travel-size toiletries.
Pack your larger personal items safely in your checked suitcases, adding extra layers around anything that might accidentally open and leak out (to protect your clothes from getting covered in shampoo, for example).
A Few Miscellaneous Items
Have we missed anything? We’ve covered most of the honeymoon packing list essentials, but here are several miscellaneous items to consider packing:
- Journal & pens
- Little gift for each other
- Small flashlight
- Tissues (travel packs)
- Shower cap
- Ear plugs
- Massage oils
- Travel guides
Your Go-To Honeymoon Resource
We hope you’ve found our honeymoon packing list helpful. For additional great resources to help you plan your perfect honeymoon, browse through everything Honeymoon Goals has to offer, including our list of top honeymoon destinations.
Our job is to provide you with the information you need to make the right honeymoon choices. Let us help you plan your very best, most romantic honeymoon getaway!